Here’s how this week’s arts and culture column begins:
The Grammy-nominated Pacific Chorale, led by Artistic Director Robert Istad (a Long Beach resident), will perform six transcendent contemporary choral works on March 19, at Our Lady Queen of Angels Catholic Church in Newport Beach.
The program is entitled “Songs of the Soul.”
· Frank Martin’s Mass for Double Choir, a masterful setting of the Latin Mass;
· Estonian composer Galina Grigorjeva’s vocal symphony On Leaving, a contemplation on the soul’s release from the mortal body;
· Pulitzer Prize winner Caroline Shaw’s and the swallow, a setting of Psalm 84 inspired by the Syrian refugee crisis;
· Spiritus Mundi, Dale Trumbore’s hymn of gratitude for the fruits of the earth and an exploration of the notion of trust in something greater than oneself;
· Paul Fowler’s wordless, hypnotic Calling and Edie Hill’s We Bloomed in Spring, a setting of the words of St. Teresa of Avila.
READ THE WHOLE PIECE HERE.